Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 6 - Only 82 Days Left Until the London Marathon

Hi Everyone,

Little late sending this out.

For starters, big thanks to the first couple of people that made donations to The Children's Trust (http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/runflickrun). Every pound counts.

Yesterday was a much needed rest day. There were several times throughout the day that I somehow forgot about the stiff legs. I went to jump out of my chair almost bit it.

I did do some stretching in the morning and again at night but I'v been nearly disciplined enough.

My brother is studying at Logan Chiropractic and passed along some information on Self-Myofascial Release (SMR) using foam rollers and other implements. I started using foam rollers back in August and saw an immediate improvement in overall flexibility but more importantly recovery time. A lot of the soreness created by the lactic acid build-up is broken up.

The article goes into a great deal of detail on the process and science behind SMR. The article can be found at http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/Self-Myofascial-Release-Purpose-Methods-and-Techniques.pdf. It not only explains the science but also gives details on the different techniques as they apply to various muscles in the body. Good stuff if your a geek like me. Sometimes I wonder why I didn't go to medical school (minus the part about getting accepted).

Moral of the story - more stretching. More stretching = fast recovery. Fast recovery = faster times and longer distances.

I've decided that on my off days and potentially other days throughout the week that I will share the training tips I've learned/am learning. Hopefully some of this is helpful to someone.

Blog 1 of 2 for the evening. I'm headed off for a 7 miler. Update coming after the run.

~RunFlickRun~

No comments:

Post a Comment