Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 16 - Only 72 Days Left Until the London Marathon

Hi Everyone.

Tonight was a mental victory and solid run. I am really proud of myself for pushing through the workout and have a lot of confidence going into the weekend distance PR. I feel fortunate that my legs responded to the SMR, icing and a tweak in my warm-up routine. I much like last week had nearly conceded to using the exercise bike in replacement of a run...and as much as I hate the treadmill, it is morally defeating to have to skip out on a run.

I read a little last night while icing after my run and again some today. What I found made a big difference in my training. Highlights below.

What are Shin Splints?
Although the term "shin splints" is often used to describe a variety of lower leg problems, it actually refers specifically to a condition called Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome (MTSS).  

Two Main Causes for Shin Pain:
  • Overload - examples include:
    • Exercising on hard surfaces, like concrete; (..yes)
    • Exercising on uneven ground; (..partially yes)
    • Beginning an exercise program after a long lay-of f period; (..is six weeks considered long?)
    • Increasing exercise intensity or duration too quickly; (..guilty on Tuesday night, trying to run in the sevens..can't start off walking)
    • Exercising in worn out or ill fitting shoes; and (I still believe the new shoes played a big role)
    • Excessive uphill or downhill running. (..not really, still trying to find a good hill spot to mix into the routine)
  • Biomechanical
    • Poor running mechanics; (..possibly, I try to follow what I know to be proper mechanics but haven't been coached or had a professional assessment by a podiatrist)
    • Tight, stiff muscles in the lower leg; (..not necessarily, after Tuesday yes)
    • Running with excessive forward lean; (no)
    • Running with excessive backwards lean; (no)
    • Landing on the balls of your foot; and (..partially)
    • Running with your toes pointed outwards. (..yes, tendency to do that if I don't focus 

Prevention
  • Better warm-up. (made some minor changes tonight)
  • More and higher quality stretching. (doing much better but need to set aside more time and learn a wider variety of stretches to increase range of motion..hoping my brother or yoga friends can help)
  • Strength and conditioning the lower leg. (again easy, just need to make the time and get familiar with a wider variety of exercises)
  • Treat immediately - rest, ice, compression, deep tissue massage or SMR and elevation. (..doing this now)
Long Term Damage
While mostly a nusance, soft tissue damage can cause long term damage in the form of built up scar tissue if not treated immediately and allowed proper rest. The part about resting is the hardest for me, especially with the short timeline for training.

I'm glad to be feeling better and going to enjoy a much deserved dessert tomorrow evening in honor of a solid week of training. Please continue to comment, email, etc. The feedback keeps me going.

~RunFlickRun~

2 comments:

  1. Yoga has made such a big difference for me! I have been practicing about 6 times a week ( usually about 3-4) times, but I'm doing a 21 day challenge..... so I'm increasing it a little. Look up yoga stretches for runners. You'll be impressed with how many there are that are simple that help!! I bet Mel could help more on which ones are the best since, that's what she does. But I just wanted you to know that I am doing it pretty frequently, and it does make a HUGE difference! -- the body strength training helps tremendously too, since I don't life weights. Good luck on the 20 miler! Just REMEMBER, it's not about pace on this day. You still have a few months to work on the pace with your long runs. Just get the miles first!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kristen, I'm enjoying my Friday night and have plenty of time to look up yoga stretches. Appreciate the tip. I'm just hoping that it warms up tomorrow and melts the snow. I will probably cry if I have to run on the treadmill.

    ReplyDelete