Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 14 - Only 74 Days Left Until the London Marathon

Hi Everyone,

Exactly two full weeks of training today and a total of 74 miles (400+ miles logged since July!). It has been experimental in the first couple of weeks. I'm dealing with new muscle aches, sore spots, better nutrition, new gear and in general learning what I need to know for my first marathon. I am coming to realise how very little I know and deciding which area to focus on first can be on the verge of overwhelming. Overall, the experience has been good and my focus one day at a time.

Today's goal was speed. I was attempting a 5 mile run down in the sevens and fell short. The dreadmill was really my only option since Winter decided to come back to punish us for the beautiful weekend. It looks like my last home out there.

I started out strong around a 7:30 pace and held there for the first two miles. At two miles, it wasn't my heartrate or breathing that slowed me down but shooting pain in my shins. It started out bad and continued all the way through to the end. It was a battle just to post a low eight minute by the end of it. I've been doing all the right things before, during and after my runs. I've only had this flare up twice (and momentarily a third) this week. Both times I was wearing the new Ravenas. I'm done with them.

I have limited number of training days left and want to transitioned. Also, I need to have two good pairs giving me one as a back-up with the rain in London. I'll need dry shoes everyday. If anyone out there has a good reason to talk me out of it, you have until 6:00pm tomorrow.

I'm off to accomplish another training goal - average 8 hours sleep a night....

I still need your help with donations. Please give,  it is for a great cause. http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/runflickrun

~RunFlickRun~

1 comment: